Author Topic: mscam retrieval error, possible driver issue  (Read 2744 times)

bbernier

• View Profile
mscam retrieval error, possible driver issue
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
I am hoping to get some help figuring out the cause of my mscam retrieval errors. All three LEDs on the DAQ box are lit and do not flicker. I am able to connect the software to the scope successfully every time and adjust gain or led power just fine, however after some time (ranging from just a few seconds to 5 minutes or so) I get the frame retrieval error and the software crashes. After reading all the similar posts on the forum I assumed it was the soldering on the CMOS pcb or the coax connector. Redoing all the soldering and even trying another CMOS pcb didn't change anything. I am using a brand new Dell laptop with windows 10 so I didn't suspect that could be an issue, but eventually tried an older desktop we have running windows 7 and everything works perfectly on that computer. I tried connecting a number of times without problems and even left the scope running for over an hour without crashing. Does this mean I have a problem with the drivers on the new laptop? Any other possible suggestions?

Also, I am using the short amazon USB 3.0 cable you recommend and the USB ports are definitely 3.0 on both computers.

Thanks

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: mscam retrieval error, possible driver issue
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 04:59:58 AM »
Hello bbernier,
It definitely sounds like a specific driver issue with your computer. We have heard people have had these with certain Dell and HP computers but we haven't had a chance to root out the problem yet. Hopefully you can make due in the meantime using your other desktop. By any chance does your Dell laptop have encryption software running on it?

bbernier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
Thanks for your response. I have tried uninstalling the driver and manually choosing and installing the one you provide but the computer won't do it. I can see the driver in the folder, but when I point to that destination I get an error that there isn't an appropriate driver in that location.

If we were to buy a new laptop just for the purpose of running the miniscopes what you recommend? Sounds like you use some version of a Macbook running Windows 10? I might prefer to just get exactly what you guys use to avoid these kind of issues.

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
We generally run all our Miniscope systems on MacBook Pros running Windows 10 through Bootcamp. I am guessing all MacBook Pros will work well but we use the 15" higher end versions of the MacBook Pros.