Author Topic: nothing but gray  (Read 9438 times)

hsiao

• View Profile
Re: nothing but gray
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »
I did a practice surgery on mouse and rat targeting dCA1 and noticed some difference.

Thank you, Daniel, for reminding me of the tutorial videos.

For mice
Yes, everything just like the videos regarding the aspiration.
I saw two layers of the corpus callosum and I saw the fiber direction and blood vessels clearly under the stereoscope.
Using aspiration tools can easily remove the 1st layer of CC.
I am very excited about seeing this. I also took a picture of it (plz see the attached picture).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:20:57 AM by hsiao »

hsiao

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 05:24:32 AM »

But rat surgery is another story.
I feel like the 1st layer of CC of rats are tough and thick. (plz see the Rat dCA1_1.JPG and Rat dCA1_2.JPG)
After removing them, I saw some thin and transparent layers (plz see the Rat dCA1_2.JPG and Rat dCA1_3.JPG) so I think they are vertical CC and the alveus is below them.
Maybe this is a good place to implant lens?

hsiao

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 02:38:43 AM »
I trimmed the brain today.

I believe the transparent part of the hole is the alveus/str. oriens ( Rat dCA1_5.JPG).
Is it a good place to implant? Or it is too far?

kjlawlor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
@TBNentwig

Thank you for the information! I am targeting a deep brain region, the VPM at about 5.5 mm, is that what you were referring to as VP? I am still unsuccessful so I am somewhat comforted to know this is not so straightforward as a shallower region. Have you guys tried any methods to reduce inflammation? I plan to try giving dex pre-op for 5 days to see if this can reduce inflammation. In parallel, I will try a shallower region to at least get some good results hopefully.

@hsaio

I see you are also experiences differences between the mice and rats. As I am unfamiliar with your region's surgery, I cannot comment on the images you provided but I wish you the best of luck!

TBNentwig

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »
@kjlawlor

THe people I know have tried nucleus accumbens and ventral pallidum in rats with virtually no success. However, two different people appear to get fine cells when implanting a lens in prelimbic cortex (~3-4.0mm DV), which is what I plan to target. The bleeding/inflammation definitely seems to be a big factor, their successful protocols use pre-op dexamethasone and for 3 days post-op. It is unclear if the deeper regions are nearly impossible in rats becuase of the inflammation but hopefully someone will figure it out soon.