Author Topic: Frame retrieval error, 3 DAQ box lights  (Read 7436 times)

Wendy Yue

• View Profile
Frame retrieval error, 3 DAQ box lights
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:12:37 AM »
Hi,

We got a msCam frame retrieval error message and a red screen when we tried to connect the miniscope software to the scope camera.
1. All 3 lights in the DAQ box are brightly and stably green.
2. The scope was connected to the DAQ box before powering through USB.
3. Problem persisted when operated through a different computer.
4. Problem existed for all three miniscopes that we have built, despite one has been successfully connected and LED intensity adjusted via the software about a week ago.

Besides, the software always freeze when we tried to close the camera window.

Any suggestions as to how we may solve these issues?

Thank you very much,

Wendy

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Frame retrieval error, 3 DAQ box lights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
Hello Wendy,
I think we will be able to work through this problem. Can you answer the following questions for me:

1) Are you sure you are connecting to a USB3.0 (Super Speed USB) port?
2) Have you tried using a different USB cable? What length and from what supplier is your USB cable?
3) What version of Windows are you running? What type of computer are you using?
4) Please double check that all switches and jumpers are correctly configured.

Wendy Yue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:20:42 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for helping.

1. Yes, we have always used USB3.0 ports.
2. Yes, we tried two different USB cables from Digikey: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/assmann-wsw-components/AK-300116-010-S/AE10647-ND/2409912
3. We tried Windows 7 on both a Lenovo X230 laptop and a Dell Optiplex 3040 desktop.
4. I suppose we have done that correctly. I am attaching here an image of one of the two boards we have tried.

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »
Thanks for the information and picture Wendy. The configuration of the PCB looks correct.

Do you only have 1 DAQ PCB or have you run into this same issue with other DAQ PCBs?
What coaxial cable are you using and how long is it?

Wendy Yue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
Thanks for troubleshooting with us.
We have altogether 2 DAQ PCBs and have the same issues using both.
We are using 5 feet coaxial CW2040-3650SR from Conner Wire.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:13:00 PM by Wendy Yue »

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 07:17:37 AM »
Hi Wendy,
One more suggestion you should try if you haven't yet is click the 'connect' buttom multiple times. For some reason we have found certain USB drivers fail to connect to the Miniscope system on the first attempt but are successful if the 'connect' button is clicked once or twice more with a few seconds in between.

The cases where we have seen a similar issue (3 green lights but red screen in DAQ software across multiple scopes/DAQ PCBs) has generally been solved by switching to a higher quality USB cable or by switching to a different computer. I know you have tried multiple computers but if they were the same brand of computer it might be worth you trying another one. If the problem still persists I would be happy for you to send your system to me to take a look.

Wendy Yue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem persisted even if we tried to click the "connect" button multiple times or replaced the USB cable with two that we have for external hard drives.

Do you happen to have a list of computer brands that the miniscope is known to be compatible or not compatible with?

If it is not a huge trouble for you, it would be helpful if we can send our system to you to take a look. May I have your shipping address?

Thanks a lot!

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
Hi Wendy,
We have heard some HP computers have USB drivers that don't play well with our system. Also, some lower end laptops my have issues. We use dell desktops, custom build desktops, and mostly MacBook Pros running Windows 10 for all our Miniscope recordings.

Shoot me an email, dbaharoni<at>gmail.com, and we can figure out shipping.

adavidson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
Hey everyone - I wanted to add my voice to the chorus. I was having serious frustration with the exact same problem. all 3 DAQ lights on, CMOS red LED on, I could adjust the excitation LED with the software, but kept getting 'mscam retrieve error' and a red screen. 4 computers, 3 camera electronics assemblies, 2 DAQ boards, 3 USB cables, same failure. I finally tried a 1ft USB cable from an external drive in the lab, and voila, got it to work. So yes, even though I tried n=3 samsung usb 3.0 5ft long cables from amazon, the culprit was STILL the USB cable connecting the DAQ with the PC. So keep trying.  ;D

Wendy Yue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 10:33:41 PM »
Thanks for the remarks. Do you think the problem is due to the length of the USB cable? Can anyone recommend a reliable USB cable?

Daniel, I have sent you an email but perhaps we can try yet some other USB cables before sending the system to you? Do you have a source of working USB cables that you would suggest?

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
Hi Wendy,
I think we generally use these, https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH13G5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489167140&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+3+cable. Try to avoid the'2-pack' USB cables on Amazon since we have found they often are lower quality and have issues.

I email you right now concerning shipping.

Wendy Yue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
Hi all,
Daniel has found the likely cause of the problem. The DAQ PCB might have been powered up with a shorted coax cable attached to the SMA connector. Please make sure to test for shorts in the coax cable before plugging in and powering up the DAQ PCB. If a short is present, permanent damage can be done to the DAQ PCB.