Author Topic: Issues Uploading Firmware  (Read 7420 times)

Atkca

• View Profile
Issues Uploading Firmware
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to upload the firmware to my DAQ PCB right now. When I plug it in, I see the bottom two LEDs light up. I had to manually install the drivers, and I see "Cypress FX3 USB Bootloader Device" instead of just Cypress USB Bootloader."

When I do press Program, FX3, and then I2C EEPROM, it says "Waiting for Cypress Boot Programmer device to enumerate" and then "Cypress Boot Programmer Device not found" after a few seconds.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks.

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issues Uploading Firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »
Hi Atkca,
Unfortunately I have never experienced the issue you are having. I Cypress recently updated their software/drivers and now the un-programmed Miniscope DAQ PCB does indeed show up as "Cypress FX3 USB Bootloader Device" instead of "Cypress USB Bootloader." Below are a few suggestions:
  • Double check that the switches and jumpers are in the correct configuration on the DAQ PCB (http://miniscope.org/index.php?title=Software_and_Firmware_Setup). If you post a picture of your PCB on this thread I can also double check that everything looks correct.
  • Make sure you are using a reasonably high quality, not super long, USB cable.
  • Try using a different computer to flash the firmware onto the DAQ PCB.

If you Google "Cypress Boot Programmer Device not found" there are a couple Cypress Forum posts about it (Cypress does a really good job responding to questions on their forum). For example, http://www.cypress.com/forum/usb-30-super-speed/cypress-boot-programmer-device-not-found.

Please keep me updated!

Atkca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »
Hi,

I ended up flashing the firmware to RAM just so I could test out my scope. After playing with the scope for a while, I tried flashing to the EEPROM again and it worked this time. I'm not sure why this would have changed anything, but it is working now!

Thanks

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for the update.

ramseya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have 3 stable LEDs, i7, Windows 7, disabled encryption, USB3.1 ports, USB3.0 SS cable, 50 ohm coax (7" long), the drivers for the USB ports are up to date, and successfully programmed the DAQ where it shows up as MINISCOPE. However, when I click connect (even several times) I will get a few seconds of grey and then a red screen with the error being msCam frame retrieve error, recording ended. Whenever I click anywhere in the miniscope software interface it says miniscope must be connected to change settings. However, it is showing up as MINISCOPE under imaging devices. Interestingly, trying different USB ports can give different issues, such as a frame grab error rather than a frame retrieve error. You can also get errors where the Cypress BootLoader may successfully program the EEPROM, but then fail to change the display name to MINISCOPE. However, in the fastest USB port (the 3.1) there seems to be fewer of those issues, and it only seems to have the msCam frame retrieve error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Austin

ramseya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:26 PM »
Hi again,

Simply running as administrator fixed the issue.

Austin

Hello everyone,

I have 3 stable LEDs, i7, Windows 7, disabled encryption, USB3.1 ports, USB3.0 SS cable, 50 ohm coax (7" long), the drivers for the USB ports are up to date, and successfully programmed the DAQ where it shows up as MINISCOPE. However, when I click connect (even several times) I will get a few seconds of grey and then a red screen with the error being msCam frame retrieve error, recording ended. Whenever I click anywhere in the miniscope software interface it says miniscope must be connected to change settings. However, it is showing up as MINISCOPE under imaging devices. Interestingly, trying different USB ports can give different issues, such as a frame grab error rather than a frame retrieve error. You can also get errors where the Cypress BootLoader may successfully program the EEPROM, but then fail to change the display name to MINISCOPE. However, in the fastest USB port (the 3.1) there seems to be fewer of those issues, and it only seems to have the msCam frame retrieve error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Austin

cjstoneking

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
Hi,

I can't get the DAQ to enumerate as 'MINISCOPE' after firmware upload. I've followed the instructions under software and firmware setup, and although Cypress control displays a message that EEPROM programming was successful, the DAQ still enumerates as
"Cypress FX3 USB bootloader device". When I try to program flash, Cypress fails with the message "Programming invalid firmware signature". I've tried both windows 7 and windows 8.1 machines, and versions 1.3.3 and 1.3 of the Cypress SDK
(I think 1.3 was used during development, is this correct?). They all give the same result. Any help would be great, thanks!

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
Hi cjstoneking,
Most likely this is due to an incorrect configuration of the jumpers and/or switches on your DAQ PCB. Take a look here, http://miniscope.org/index.php?title=Data_Acquisition_Box. Once the firmware has been successfully loaded into EEPROM you need to make sure only jumper K2 is connected and all the switches are in the configuration shown on the linked page. A few other notes:
  • We have seen some issue with our system running on a Windows 8 machine so try and stay with either Windows 7 or 10.
  • The Miniscope DAQ PCB/Box needs to be hooked up over USB3.0 (Super Speed USB). If connected to a USB2.0 port it won't enumerate as MINISCOPE.
  • You won't be able to program the SPI Flash memory. You can try programming the RAM and see if the DAQ PCB shows up as a MINISCOPE in device manager. When programming RAM the firmware only remains stored until the PCB is power toggled.

cjstoneking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the help! It seems that the firmware file I downloaded had somehow been corrupted (it wasn't even the right file size). I couldn't even program RAM with this file. Downloading it again seems to have fixed this issue, now the DAQ enumerates as 'MINISCOPE'.

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »
Well that is a first. Thanks for the update!