Author Topic: Error recognizing USB. Install failed.  (Read 2940 times)

pcooper

• View Profile
Error recognizing USB. Install failed.
« on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
Hello,

I cannot get my DAQ to be recognized by my computer to begin the firmware install.

I have a "MINISCOPE USB_Control v2.3" board. Came with all through hole components and EEPROM installed from LabMaker.

When plugged in with a known good USB 3 cable, it either acts as if nothing has been plugged in (Win7, Mac) or gives a hardware error (Win10). Win10 error screen shot attached.

I have double checked all switch settings per the setup guide. http://miniscope.org/index.php/Data_Acquisition_Box#Firmware
Jumpers are in K1, K2, and J9-USB.
I have swapped out the EEPROM with no difference in results.

I'm hoping there may be something I'm missing. I'm starting to worry I got a bad board. Some of the solder joints look a little starved. (U6 especially. pics attached).

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? If not, any insight on how good LabMaker is about replacements?

Thanks,
Phil
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:42:08 PM by pcooper »

Daniel Aharoni

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Error recognizing USB. Install failed.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »
Hi Phil,
From what I understand LabMaker tests their boards before shipping them out and has already performed the EEPROM programming through the board. You should contact them to double check that this is the case and that they were able to get it to function properly.

The soldering looks alright to me. I would suggest buying a couple different USB cables first and see if that is the issue. Are you running Windows 7 through Bootcamp on your Mac? Parallels won't work.

pcooper

• View Profile
Re: Error recognizing USB. Install failed.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've tried it with 2 seperate USB 3.0 cables, one USB 2 cable, and 3 seperate computers (Win10, Win7, unsure of MacOS version). Each computer is a single OS only. All computers and cables work normally with any other task and equipment.

The soldering concern was only with the 2 pins on either side of the chip that don't have any noticable solder fillet. The other 10 look as good as a lead-free reflow can.

I've since reached out to LabMaker. They claim to have pre-installed the firmware. Working with them to further troubleshoot now.

Is there something I don't know about USB 3.0 that would allow the cables to work perfectly with an external HDD but not with this? Both cables tested are 1m long or shorter. I'll try more if you think it's worth the time, but I'm having a hard time understanding what difference could be made.